Wednesday 4 March 2015

Day 1 Juice Cleanse

My 2 day juice cleanse experience (DAY 1 review)


Some of you may know from my Instagram that I was on my juice cleanse recently. I really wanted to try one out so I figured it's about time I tried one! As it was my first cleanse I chose to go for the safe option of doing it in the comfort of my home during the weekend in case I felt antsy, fatigued and to avoid embarressment of a roaring lion growling from my stomach.

Hong Kong has such a wide selection of juice cleanse programmes and juice shops around the city like noodfood, punch detox, be juiced, hyaku, mr. green juice- the list almost seems endless. I chose Genie juicery as it had been popping a lot of mentions on my instagram news feeds from fellow bloggers and it offers 8 instead of 6 juice bottles for each day (you could tell my concern was about getting hungry with no solid foods for two days :P).

I ordered my 2 day cleanse online (I chose intermediate based on the benefits listed here) from their website. The ordering and checkout process was quick and simple. You pick a date when you want to start your cleanse. Remember to order before 5pm before the day you intend to start your programme as this is the cut off time. When you fill the delivery form they provide the option to leave a note to arrange your delivery so I had arranged a note to pick mine cleanse up at the ferry pier after work given that they don't deliver to outlying islands. Delivery around HK island is free with a extra surcharge for deliver to TST and other locations around HK.

What I got:

My 2 day cleanse came in two freezer bags (see below).  In each bag came 8 bottles to drink per day with a sachet of psyllium husk and chia seeds for added fibre and protein, a genie bible and a straw to sip your juices. My advice is to make sure you make space in your fridge beforehand as it takes up quite a lot of space and have it delivered if you can to your door as it's pretty heavy! I immediately put my juices into the fridge to keep them cold. 


What it looks like inside

The genie bible which is beautifully illustrated to guide you to your cleanse. I found the lovely chart a nice touch giving insight into the beneficial properties of the ingredients included in the cleanse. 







DAY ONE:

THE INTERMEDIATE CLEANSE (A.M JUICES)


Before drinking the first four juices I drank a glass of warm lemon water and a glass of water mixed with the psyllium husk provided. 

First up was the MASTER juice- this one is actually one of my favourites. The taste was like lemonade so it was easy to drink, refreshing and a good wake up call to the day. 
FEELING:  Bloated from eating out the day before. 

SMOOTH OPERATOR- this was more like a smoothie. It was much more dense and thick so it was nice and filling. Although it's green in colour the flavour was very much like banana so this was lovely to drink, especially after my community yoga class.
FEELING: Refreshed. Not hungry or full.

FOUR LEAF CLOVER- this was a little hard to bottle down as there were more veggies so it tasted less sweet  in comparison to the others but I still thought it was okay.
FEELING: Not hungry or full. Stomach feels a little flatter. The need to go to the toilet more frequently.

ORANGUTAN- this was a lovely bright orange colour and had little bits of orange juice flesh which was unexpected. Although you could taste the orange it has a zingy vinegar like after taste (which I noticed most of the drinks do). This was easy to drink nonetheless.
FEELING:  By the time I had reached the afternoon I was getting an AWFUL headache - much so I had to just chill quietly for the rest of the day despite my plans to go for a walk. 

THE INTERMEDIATE CLEANSE (PM JUICES)


SAWADEKAH- I found this one quite bitter and not very pleasant to drink so I actually couldn't finish this one. I had to skip it.
FEELING: Slightly hungry but my headache was more of a concern.

HAWAII H20- I accidentally missed this one purely judging from the looks of it I was thinking I wouldn't be able to drink it if I couldn't drink SAWADEKAH but later on when I tried to drink this the next day I found it was lovely. LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING.

LIFEBLOOD- Again, this was quite bitter so I found it really hard to drink it despite the love purply colour so I skipped it. I need to adjust drinking more veggie dense drinks.

SWEETDREAMS- I loved this one! So finally it was nice to have one that I could drink. It was like soy milk but sweeter and lighter which was a good way to wrap up the day with. It looks quite creamy and thick but it's actually very refreshing and leaves you satisfied without feeling too hungry or full.
FEELING: Slightly hungry - perhaps because I didn't drink two of the juices my body wasn't getting enough calories, hence the hunger. Headache had gotten worse (which was a bit of a worry) so I called it an early night and went to bed.









© Kay 2015.  

No comments:

Post a Comment