Saturday 29 August 2015

Plain sailing Pita Bowl Recipe

If you like pita and want a simple meal that you can prepare in less than 15 minutes with minimal cutlery and/or ingredients then this pita bowl is the perfect dish.

The crunchiness of the oven toasted pita is delightful and there's no feeling of guilt with this recipe as this doesn't require any deep frying keeping it nice and healthy. :)

I've created two versions - one which I will call the 'Super High Protein Pita Bowl' and the other - 'The Light and Crunchiful Pita Bowl'.  You may wish to change the filling to suit your taste buds accordingly.

The main ingredient you'll need of course for this recipe is pita! I used a wholemeal version which I bought at Jason's marketplace and is readily available in local supermarkets which has 3 pitas for about HKD$13.

 'Super High Protein Pita Bowl'

® Kay 2015
For this recipe  which serves 2 half portions (half portion is the portion shown in the photo above), you'll need:
  • 1 (wholemeal) pita 
  • 4 chicken breast slices
  • 1 or 2 boiled eggs (take the yolk out if you want)
  • Optional to add flavour: Italian seasoning & White Pepper & Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (readily available in most HK supermarkets)
Is that it? Yes but you may wish to add some veggies like spinach leaves if you'd like to up the nutrition because I got lazy whilst making this as I was super hungry after my workout!

Steps:
  1. In advance, boil 1 ot 2 eggs.
  2. Put the whole pita in a toaster oven and heat for around 5 mins. The pita should blow up like a balloon as it gets hot.
  3. Whilst the pita is getting nice and toasted,  remove the yolk from the cooled eggs and break into small bite sized pieces.
  4. Do some squats or lunges while you wait for the toaster to 'ping' :P
  5. Take out the pita balloon once it's looking crispy. Watch out cause it's hot! Take a bread knife and cut the balloon shaped pita into two lovely bowl pieces.
  6. Get your chicken breast slices and nicely fold them into your pita bowl, along with your egg white pieces.
  7. Season your pita bowls with Italian seasoning, white pepper and Thai Sweet Chilli sauce or any condiment of your preference.
  8. Voila! It's that simple. :)

'The Light and Crunchiful Pita Bowl'

® Kay 2015
This recipes calls for the same steps except for replacing the boiled eggs with lettuce pieces and cucumber and sesame dressing for the seasoning leaving a nice and refreshing pita bowl. :)

if you try this recipes or have any questions please feel free to comment below and I'll try my best to get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks and hope you like this post! :)

Have a great weekend!

Please note: I am not a nutritionist and so these meals may not be perfectly nutritionally balanced. I am just blogging to sharing my dishes on what I eat that is on my Instagram at @fitnhealthyinhk for those who are interested :)

2 comments: